Grange Free Church was established in 1876 when a sizeable number of members of the Free High Church (later West High and until recently Laigh West High ) were dissatisfied with the proceedings in connection with the election of the new minister and successfully applied to Presbytery "to be created into a full ministerial charge with all congregational privileges".
The site in Woodstock Street was purchased for £239. The architect chosen was Mr Ingram of Messrs J & R S Ingram, Kilmarnock and work begun on the hall which was used for worship until the church was officially opened on 31st August 1879. A memorial stone is below the arch on the left hand side of the window over the entrance to the church. The Rev James McCulloch of Newton Stewart was unanimously called to be the first minister and served for 34 years although for the last nine he had retired from active ministry through failing health and had the assistance of a colleague.
The name presumably would have become The Grange Church of Scotland with the union of the United Free Church of Scotland and the Church of Scotland in 1929. The Good Shepherd stained glass window behind the pulpit was given in 1896 by Miss M Taylor in memory of her father William Taylor of Glenfield & Kennedy who had been a generous supporter from its earliest days.
A pipe organ was installed in 1902 by Foster & Andrews of Hull and continued in use until 2009. In the 140ft high bell tower is housed a steel bell said to have been the largest in the county with a date which could be 1867 but heavy corrosion makes accurate reading difficult.
The brass and oak Memorial in the vestibule was gifted by the Trustees of the Grange Savings Bank. It has inscribed, in addition to the names of those servicemen of the congregation who fell in the World Wars, a memorial to Mr & Mrs James Barr who lost their lives in the torpedoing of the S S Lusitania in May 1915 and commemorations to the years of service given by the first three ministers Rev James McCulloch (1877- 1911), Rev Andrew Aitken (1902-1929) and Rev Robert Duncan (1930-1954).
Two elder's chairs for the Communion table were accepted in October 1936, one dedicated to the memory of Mrs Aitken and the other to the memory of Miss J D Burns. The Moderator's Chair is inscribed "In loving memory of Margaret Young Carnie". An extensive redecoration and renovation was carried out in 1956 resulting in a lightening up of the church interior and redesign of the pulpit and choir area. The Horspool family donated the baptismal font, which incorporates the original silver basin used since the formation of the church, to the memory of their father Jack who was a choir member for many years.
In 1994 two oak teaching crosses display carvings based on both faces of the St Martin's cross on Iona were commissioned by the church and are dedicated to the memory of all Office-bearers for years of devoted service.
The pair of wooden flower pedestals was donated by the family in memory of their parents William & Agnes Kennedy.